Thursday, May 04, 2006

Digging, part II

The rains came in yesterday. I hesitated too long in going into the garden to dig up the little patch I was going to put vegitables in. Socked in by the rains, wishing I'd have gotten those seeds in the ground to be nurtured by the dark, cool moistness...

Today, cool and damp again, but I've gotta get those seeds in! It's after May 1st, and just after the new moon - I'm already late!

So between rainshowers I go out. Funny gardening gloves help keep my hands warm. Diggin' with the shovel, pulling up deep roots of some noxious groundcover weed that some people think is pretty. Hacking through rain-packed dirt, chopping it up. Then raking with the real rake - not the wimpy one we move leaves with, but the strong one that sifts the soil and finds the leftover roots.

Smoothing the soil, my gorgeous brown bed is ready...

...for beets, radicchio, kale, spinach, mustard greens, carrots, lambsquarters, lettuce, marigolds, and a border of zinnias - old seeds, just what I happen to have on hand. Let's see if they take!

I'm still waiting for the lavendar and nasturtiums I planted in those pots...

Bookmark and Share